THE RED LINE

THE RED LINE

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

DEAD HEAT

DEAD HEAT

I had irritated a powerful person -

powerful beyond any person or thing I had ever known.

Two days later, my phone rings -

a cold, deep businesslike voice simply says

"Fair warning. Sleep in a hotel tonight."

Hangs up immediately after the utterance.

I pack one suitcase, run to the car, drive to the local motel without stopping to make reservations.

I get a room, queen-sized bed, musty smell.

I don't sleep. Pacing. Long night. Anticipation. Cigarettes.

After forever, morning sun streams through bottom of plastic curtains,

a mere crack of early light.

Compelled by unseen force I turn on television -- news station.

Police, Firemen, News Reporters surround charred, smoking remains of what used to be my house.

My heart beats in my throat and in my head,

Feel sick beyond fear,

 Collapse onto bed.

Motel phone rings in my room, red light blinking when I fail to answer,

mute after the dead heat has taken everything that I thought was safely mine.

Can't ever go back.




|/^\]  to _____





Please email this poem to your friends and colleagues, and share this poem through your social media channels if you appreciated it. Thank You!

    CONTACT
POET VERITAS

   POET VERITAS

Twitter Button from twitbuttons.com